Introduction to Western Literature and Arts (西洋文學概要)
1st Semester, 2005
Quiz 1: Topic 1
"Heritage of Goddess"
Topic 2: "Epic of Gilgamesh"
I. What are the characteristics of the cultures of goddess?
II. In the myth of "Theseus and Minotaur," what aspects of the cultures of goddess in Minoan culture have been altered by the Mycenaean?
III. Answer the following questions concerning The Epic of Gilgamesh:
1. Gilgamesh was 2/3 god, and 1/3 man. What conflict might derive from such combination?
2. What are the differences among gods, human, and animal in The Epic of Gilgamesh? What makes a person become a "hero"? Do you think both Gilgamesh and Enkidu are heroes? Why? (Why not?)
3. What are the significance of Gilgamesh's tyranny and his fighting against gods and goddess?
4. Can you recognize a pattern of growth in the story of Gilgamesh's quest? Describe this pattern briefly.
5. List four kinds of conflict in The Epic of Gilgamesh.
6. Give example to explain the theme of "the taming of the wilderness in humanity."
7. Give example to explain the theme of "the taming of the wilderness in Nature."
Answers: read the ppt files "Ch01-Heritage of Goddess," "Ch01-Epic of Gilgamesh"